Banana fried to a golden crispy perfection.
Banana Lumpia is another sweet treat that was brought to Hawaii from the Philippines. It is very simple to make this but it is probably one of my most favorite treats to eat. This treat is basically a banana rolled in brown sugar, dusted with cinnamon, and wrapped tightly in a spring roll to be fried until it is golden brown.
Lumpia was introduced to Hawaii through the Philippines. It was then adopted into part of Hawaii’s most loved desserts. I’ve remembered the times when we would make lumpia for dinner and with the leftover wrappers, we would use it to make banana lumpia. Super simple to make and a delight to eat after for dessert.
The type of wraps to use for lumpia is a light pastry like wrap. It is not the clear rice wrap that is used for fresh spring rolls. Here are some examples to look for the right type of wrap:
When the banana is covered in sugar and fried, part of the sugar will escape the wrap. When it reacts with heat, it caramelizes on the wrap. So, on the outside you’ll notice a little brown glaze. It’ll be sticky to the touch, so I suggest when you finish frying, laying it on a wire rack to drip any leftover oils. Don’t use a plate lined with paper towels or the lumpia will stick to the towels.
Check out this video to help you gain more insight on how to make Banana Lumpia. Also, subscribe to my YouTube to help support me so I can continue making more of these contents. Mahalo!
Banana Lumpia (Turon)
- Bananas (apple or plantation bananas)
- Spring roll/Lumpia wrappers
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp flour (optional)
- 1 tbsp water
- Cut the top and bottom of the bananas. Cut the bananas in half lengthwise and half it again across. Peel the bananas and set aside.
- Place some brown sugar on a plate and roll each piece of banana in the brown sugar.
- In a small dipping bowl, combine the flour and water to create a paste. (I find that using the paste will seal the wrapper better.) Or you could use water to seal the wrapper. Set aside the bowl.
- On a separate plate, have one corner of the springroll wrapper pointing to yourself. Place the sugared banana about two inches away from the bottom corner. Fold the bottom corner over the banana, roll it forward until it is about halfway. Snuggly fold both right and left corners to the middle. Continue to tightly roll the banana until there is a small amount left of the last corner. Dab the paste/water to the corner and seal it. Set aside the finished wrap and repeat the same procedure for the rest.
- Heat some oil in a pan or pot. Bring it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully add in the lumpia and let it fry until it is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the banana lumpia and let it drain on a baking sheet topped with a wire rack. Serve and enjoy!
Can this be done in an air fryer?